[Qt-creator] clangd parsing time

Adam Light aclight at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 21:31:47 CET 2021

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 6:27 AM Eike Ziller <Eike.Ziller at qt.io> wrote:

> I can confirm on macOS, that Qt Creator in Qt Creator takes 2 1/2 hours to
> index, on a machine that takes 12 minutes to build it.
> clangd uses 12 threads by default, but only 4 out of 8 cores. Turning up
> the number of "worker threads" does increase the number of threads used,
> but doesn't increase the cores/CPU used and doesn't make indexing faster.
>
> The good thing is that the full indexing is only done once (cached per
> build directory), and further updates just index what has changed.

Thanks. It seems like what I am seeing is more or less expected, I guess.
In the end it took 3 hours 54 minutes to finish parsing my project. Since
the parsing would need to be done separately for different configurations
(e.g. debug and release) and possibly after changes to the build
configuration, I wonder how useful using clangd will ever be. FWIW, I was
exploring clangd due to slow parsing of our project from the clang code
model, reported at https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-26327, but
even the clang code model doesn't take almost 4 hours to parse the project.

Thanks
Adam