[Qt-creator] The state of the clang-format plugin

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Wed Jun 29 16:33:18 CEST 2022

> On 29 Jun 2022, at 16:09, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 29/06/2022 09:40, Eike Ziller wrote:
>>> On 29 Jun 2022, at 05:26, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> How are you supposed to deal with lines you didn't edit changing and have no place in a git commit? It's impossible to work on code that's under version control.
>> The ClangFormat plugin restricts formatting on save to the regions that you edited since last saving (the regions that have a green marker on the side.
>
> This is unsuitable when you don't want to reformat the code. But more importantly, when you undo, it breaks down. You edit something, then notice it formatted when saving, you undo it, but it won't work. No matter what you do, it will format it.

I definitely would like to have an easy way to trigger a save without formatting even while “format on save” is generally turned on.
At the moment you can change the setting globally to “Disable”, save the file, and turn the option back on, but it is cumbersome.

> I noticed it like an hour too late, when my git diff was a complete mess, as it formatted code I didn't want touched.
>
> At that point, I had to switch back to Creator 7.
>
> This makes it virtually impossible to use Creator. Sure, if you only ever work on your own code, it's fine. But I work on a ton of projects, most of them don't even have a clang-format file.

Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH
Erich-Thilo-Straße 10