[Qt-creator] Closing pinned files

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Fri Nov 11 10:50:07 CET 2022

> Am 11 Nov 2022 um 06:55 schrieb Carel Combrink <carel.combrink at gmail.com>:
>
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 at 09:51, Eike Ziller via Qt-creator <qt-creator at qt-project.org> wrote:
>
> > The idea is to avoid accidentally closing the pinned file via shortcuts. So not necessarily about forbidding closing it, but ensuring that it doesn't leave the open documents list.
>

> I also recently started using the "pin file" feature and was surprised that after spamming CTRL + W the pinned files were closed.
> I have no suggestions yet on what I expect to happen, but that they got closed was unexpected.
>
> Thinking about it a bit it might make sense to close all editors and keep the pinned ones in the open documents list.

> It sounds counterproductive since then they are not opened anymore, thus they don't fit in the list (new list or renamed panel?)

Actually "Open Documents" is a lie anyway. Qt Creator reserves the right to unload all data from an (unmodified) "open document" and just keep the entry in the Open Documents.
See Preferences > Environment > System > Auto-suspend unmodified files.

--
Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH