[Qt-creator] Full GDB console

Gino Van Hauwermeiren ginovh at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 14:03:51 CET 2023

In Qt creator you can show a GDB mi console via the Debugger log window.
But this is still mi output. I know you can disable the mi formatting at
startup by passing an option to GDB, so that at least this extra mi
formatting is removed. But this still isn't a *real* GDB console. (with
emacs keybindings etc.)

GDB has a feature to start a new console in a terminal, see
https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/Interpreters.html look at the
bottom.

See also this presentation from slide 4 :
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/cauldron2016?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=Caudron2016-PedroAlves-GDBstatus.pdf

As a poor mans solution, I tried this by typing in the above debugger log
window "new-ui console /dev/pts/1" whith /dev/pts/1 the tty I want to use,
but this doesn't really work well.

I know Eclipse implements this in the CDT plugin. (see
https://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/Archive/FullGDBConsole)

Any idea if it is difficult to add this feature also to QtCreator or if
this is on the roadmap?
Or could we make it work reliable somehow with the gdb new-ui command
manually?

I think this would be a useful feature.

Best regards,

Gino