[Qt-creator] Testing of own plugin

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Wed Jan 25 12:24:26 CET 2023

Hi,

yes, you can use both.

A short description would be:

To add plugin tests, add private slots that start with "test" to your IPlugin implementation. These are looked for when you run Qt Creator with "-test <yourplugin>".
Use these if you rely on the Qt Creator infrastructure to be available, e.g. if your test needs to interact with other parts of Qt Creator.

Otherwise use auto tests. You can use the add_qtc_test function if you want, though I'm not sure if that adds anything useful, but it will give you a similar interface as for plugins and executables.

I've added a few dummy tests to my example dummy plugin, as a reference for (one way of solving) the details, that uses the fact that add_qtc_plugin etc does some helpful things when WITH_TESTS is set:

https://github.com/e4z9/qtcreator-testplugin/commit/fa8065f580ee5724f8b9afb06e904e1be1c2e343

Br, Eike