[Qt-creator] Bare metal: Override Kit's Device

Andrzej Telszewski andrzej at telszewski.com
Tue May 23 13:18:41 CEST 2023

On 22/05/2023 09:31, Christian Kandeler via Qt-creator wrote:
> On 5/19/23 12:18, Andrzej Telszewski wrote:
>> is it possible to override the Kit's device without modifying the Kit
>> itself?
>>
> Yes, this functionality is implemented as an easter egg:
>
> 1) In the Kits dialog, right-click on the combobox of the "device:"
> entry and check the "mutable" button.
>
> 2) In the target selector, you can now switch the device for your
> project.

It worked, but unfortunately is far from optimal.

The first issue I observed is that, if I have 2 opened projects and I
change the target device for first project, it will also change it for
the second project.

I'm now working on a device that has 2 MCU-s and I would like to be able
to debug them at the same time.
The 2 MCU-s have all the settings the same, except that they need to use
2 different hardware debug probes.

Cloning the Kit and changing the target device is a solution, but is an
overkill.
Being able to _just_ change the _device_ (debug server provider) would
have solve the problem right away.
It would be much easier if it was possible to _separately_ select a Kit
and the target device.

All that being said, are there any plans to work on the Bare Metal
plugin so it would better suit MCU development?

For today, the enhancements I would like to see are:

1. Ability to change target device (debug server provider) independent
of the Kit.
2. Ability to select SVD file, independent of the debug server provider.
3. Debug server provider should have additional (separate) capability to
flash the MCU.
    (Maybe this could be triggered by the _Deploy_ action.)

I'm happy to help with shaping up the requirements/ design.

Thank you! :-)