[Qt-creator] Unclear requirement in setting "Skip clean whitespace for file types"

Jochen Becher jochen_becher at gmx.de
Thu May 9 14:14:06 CEST 2024

Hi,

I wondered why "Skip clean whitespace for file types" does not work: If
I edit a makefile named "Makefile" the tabs are still translated to
spaces on save.

There seems to be some unclear requirements here: the label of the
checkbox is "Skip clean whitespace for file types" but the
implementation names this checkbox "skipTrailingWhitespace" and this is
really the implemented functionality.

I would like to fix that. Renaming the label to "Skip removing trailing
whitespaces for file types" doesn't make much sense to me. I would
prefer renaming the checkbox to "skipCleanupWhitespaceForFileTypes" and
implement it that way.

I could also add another checkbox "skipTrailingWhitespace" with that
label but no text edit box for specific file types.

On the long term, most of the TextEditor settings should be mappable to
user selectable file types.

What do you think?