[Qt-interest] Debug and release modes ?

Ferenc Stelcz ferenc at stelcz.hu
Tue Jun 2 07:33:37 CEST 2009

Patric wrote:
>  Hello,
>   I have a very basic question. What's the difference between debug and release modes in QT Creator ? I think debug is to compile while in development
>   process, and release is to compile the final product or something ?

It's pretty much like that. Debug builds are to be used with a debugger, like
the GDB in QtCreator to debug your application in the testing phase. This
produces larger binaries with lots of debug symbols to help you find bugs in
your code. If you think your app is RTM :) then you simply compile it in
release mode, with a smaller size and without debug symbols.
Note however: when building in debug mode, you have to provide your
environment with the appropriate debug build of Qt as well (for example
QtCore4.dll is the release version and QtCore4d.dll is the debug version [note
the d before the dot]) On Windows platforms, using the Qt SDK installer, you
don't get the debug version of Qt; keep that in mind! HTH

--
Ferenc Stelcz
Junior Software Engineer

Banyan Technologies LLC.