[Qt-interest] Design of an application using plugins

Patric userqt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 14:16:41 CEST 2009

Hello all,
I have to create a program with tabs. Each of these tabs will have it's own functionality. It's a user interface, that must change the tabs dynamically on user demand.
For example :
It's a program that is managing devices. On startup, the user sees the available managable devices. He clicks on the first one, and the program starts with the tabs managing that device.
If he click on the other device, there must be another couple of tabs that must be generated instead of the old ones, because now the user wants to manage different device.

I think, but maybe I'm wrong, it's a good idea to make each couple of tabs (managing a device) a different QT Plugin. But I'm a noob and I need help to get the picture clear. :)

So I have some questions...

1. Is my idea right about the way making this program works with plugins ?
2. When I finish my project, do I have to make something like... installation package ? So the user can install my program, and what's the best way to do it with QT ?
3. When the user (eventually) install my program, in there will be one plugin (.dll library) which will manage some default device. But there will come a time when there will be another new device, that must be managable with this program (user interface) and a new plugin, implementing the new device (few new tabs) will be created by me for example.
At that point, how the user will get that plugin ? Will it be possible just to copy the new plugin in the program's directory and get it work automatically ?

Please, help. Everything is so complicated that I'm gonna explode soon.

Best regards,
Patric

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4098 (20090522) __________

http://www.eset.com