[Qt-interest] [OT] RE: video codecs

Mehmet Kaplan mehmetkpln at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 14:56:22 CEST 2009

"What do you mean by THE codec? There is no such thing as THE codec on a
system."I don't mean a static codec. i mean all the codecs currently
installed on the system.

my purpose is clearly like this:
i want to process video files frame by frame.
for video processing i can find algorithms and libraries, there isn't any
problem here.
for video processing, also i want to give a large container (mpeg, avi) and
codec support.
the first approach is to add encoder and decoder codes (c,c++ etc) of every
codec to my program.
second approach can be use a library, class, framework, namespace like
phonon that detects the codecs installed on the system. i can use phonon
namespace of Qt for playing video files (codec of this video is installed on
the system).
but phonon does not give the support for grabbing frames from these video
files. but for video processing i need all frames of a video.

as an example when user tries to process a video file with xvid codec, my
program won't let it. but after the user installed xvid codec to his/her
system, without any change on my program i want to process any video file
with xvid codec.