[Qt-interest] [OT] RE: video codecs

Srdjan Todorovic todorovic.s at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 12 15:51:47 CEST 2009

Hi,

On 12/06/2009, Mehmet Kaplan <mehmetkpln at gmail.com> wrote:
> i know that phonon automatically detects the video type, container, codec
> etc. and read the video if its codec is installed in system.but i want to
> get the 100th frame of that video for example, for processing the frame .
> phonon plays the video automatically, but phonon doesn't present any
> interface for taking a frame of a video.

In that case, you have 3 options:

  1) Extend Phonon to do what you want it to.
  2) Find some external framework for doing what you want to do.
  3) Build your own video processing framework.

2 might be easier, as you have access to mplayer/mencoder, transcoder,
ffmpeg, and a lot of other open source tools to look at code.

As for 1), can't you just look at phonon code and add a hook somewhere
to send the frame to your other classes? Maybe add functionality to
let you skip to a certain frame? (you might not have to decode the
frame fully, just find the frame boundaries until your counter hits
100)

(I might be spewing nonsense - never touched phonon, but at least
these are some interesting ideas for you to ponder about)

Srdjan