[Qt-interest] QProcess and Qt/Embedded.

simith nambiar simithn at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 16 09:50:28 CEST 2009

Hello All,
            I have been searching the Internet for quite sometime, but i haven't found a perfect solution, maybe there isn't one or i have missed something.

I need to develop a set of applications for an embedded platform (screen size around 800 X 600 pixels ), currently i have installed Qt/Embedded (4.5.1), Qt/X11 ( 4.5.1) , both work fine on my desktopp. I use the Qvfb program and it looks good.

The Fluidlauncher demo, which launches each demo is excellent to understand the way to use the QProcess to execute other Qt programs.

I need to write a similar Application where i can launch applications from a Fluidlauncher like interface. The only thing i'am missing is the way i can keep the process running in the background and switch views between these multiple applications. I do not want to start the QProcess each time the user clicks on the Application icon.

For example, when the user selects Application 1, and then exits it, i need a way to keep the Process alive, but give control back to the Launcher. The User then enters Application 2, and so on. On each exit from the application, i only want to save and resume state.

Basically i need a framework for maintaing the state of each application without exiting it , when i enter the next application. I want the framework to be small in size,

Please suggest whether i should write one on my own, in that case any pointers would be helpful, else if one exists please send me some pointers.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Simith Nambiar

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.

 - Mark Twain.