[Qt-interest] Open and external file through menu

Sujan Dasmahapatra sdh at lmglasfiber.com
Wed Jun 17 11:48:04 CEST 2009

Thanks Srdjan

Kind Regards,
Sujan Dasmahapatra

-----Original Message-----
From: qt-interest-bounces at trolltech.com
[mailto:qt-interest-bounces at trolltech.com] On Behalf Of Srdjan Todorovic
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:04 PM
To: qt-interest
Subject: Re: [Qt-interest] Open and external file through menu

Hi,

On 17/06/2009, Ferenc Stelcz <ferenc at stelcz.hu> wrote:
> Ender EREL wrote:
>> Beware, the information below is classified, therefore it cannot be
>> found elsewhere, especially not in Qt documentation. Also a question
>> like this has never been asked before, so don't try searching the
>> qt-interest archives.

That made me laugh. Thanks :)

>> Connect a slot to a desired action in the desired menu. In that slot,
>> use QDesktopServices::openUrl() static member to launch the desired
file.

> [OT please ignore!]
> It's totally superfluous to tell him things like that. He wants exact
> answers
> for his exact questions. Don't bother. The only little problem is
that, we
> aren't the ones who get paid for the job he has to do... :D
> [/OT please ignore!]

Well, my initial answer would have been:

 "Open the external file with your favourite application that can
handle the file, using menus and actions."

The problem is that the OP's question is very generic, and does not
indicate a problem that the person is having.

So it's just simply a "tell me how to do this", which is a bit like
the person asking us to do his/her work. We can give general
guidelines, but I'm nervous that [employed] people are asking for
complete working solutions to problems.

I'm all for helping people that are stuck with problems, however when
someone asks us to do a unit of work for them, we are unlikely to
help..

Best of luck to Sujan, I know it can be hard to work with a framework
or tools that one's not familiar with. The answers given should be
enough for Sujan to solve the problem (even if more thought and code
redesign is required).

Srdjan