[Qt-interest] Running apps with Qt 4.5 and MinGW: "Application fails to initialize"

André Prins a.h.prins at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 15:46:21 CEST 2009

Dear all,

In the past few months I have happily used the alpha-version of GCC
4.3.0-alpha with MinGW on Windows for small C++ projects withouth Qt.
At the same time I used GCC 3.4.5 with MinGW for my Qt projects.
Lately I tried using Qt 4.5 with GCC 4.3.0-alpha and build Qt from
source. Except for two lines in
src\3rdparty\webkit\WebCore\platform\Timer.cpp - which I commented out
- this builds perfectly and compiling and linking applications with Qt
4.5 also works fine.

Running my applications, however is a problem. Even the following
simple application fails to run:

#include <QApplication>
#include <QDebug>

int main( int argc, char* argv[] )
{
    QApplication app( argc, argv );

//    qDebug() << "Application started." ;
}

Upon start, I get the following error message (twice):
    "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click
on OK to terminate the application."

However, when I uncomment the line with qDebug(), everything works
fine and I can add the normal things like creating Widgets, starting
the event-loop, etc.

So, what is so special about that qDebug statement? Or am I simply
paying the price for using an alpha-version of GCC 4.3?

Kind Regards,
André