[Qt-interest] Integrate Flash Player on OS X and/or Linux

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Mon Jun 29 21:18:51 CEST 2009

Sandro Ducceschi wrote:
>Hi everyone
>
>I'm trying to figure out how i could integrate the proprietary flash
>player into my application without having to use a webkit instance.
>
>I see that under windows i can use the ActiveQt Framework to achieve
>this easily.
>
>Is there an equivalent for that under OSX and/or Linux ? Has anyone
>tried this yet and if so could they share an example?

Yes, you have to use the NPAPI, which stands for Netscape Plugin API.

That's what WebKit uses to load Netscape plugins (like the Flash player)
into the web page.

If you don't want the web engine, you'll have to do loading yourself.

Note, in special, that the official Adobe Flash Player is very broken in
terms of the NPAPI. It expects to be loaded by Mozilla Firefox, and
everyone else trying to use it (including QtWebKit) have to cope with
Adobe's bugs.

--
Thiago Macieira - thiago.macieira (AT) nokia.com
  Senior Product Manager - Nokia, Qt Software