[Qt-interest] running qt3 app on qt4

Pavel Koshevoy pavel at aragog.com
Mon Mar 2 17:39:09 CET 2009

Linking is platform dependent, so don't expect it to work the same way
on Linux and Windows.  The simplest thing you can do is compile Qt3 from
sources, yourself.  When configuring Qt3 disable shared libraries.  Then
rebuild your project using your version of Qt3.  To check which shared
libraries your executable links against use ldd on Linux and use
depends.exe on Windows.

Above all, use google and search the qt-interest mail archive (
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Qt+static+linking ).  On Linux use
the manual pages  --  man ldd, man gcc, man ld, man nm, etc...

With gcc on Linux you can specify -Wl,-Bstatic or -Wl,-Bdynamic gcc
switch to control which version of the following libraries you want to
link against (static or dynamic).  These switches will be passed to the
linker.  When using static libraries the order in which you specify
libraries on the command line matters.  If static library B depends on
static library A, and static library C depends on static library B, then
they have to be specified in that order -lC -lB -lA.  Otherwise you may
end up with unresolved symbols.

    Pavel.