[Qt-interest] Create a new GUI Thread

Luke Campagnola lcampagn at email.unc.edu
Mon Mar 2 21:05:06 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 01:37, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 11.02.09 02:04:52, Luis Roberto P. Paula wrote:
>

> > I'm doing this because I need to have a different event loop for the
> QDialog
> > window.
>
> So you want two event loops that run in parallel, not one loop that blocks
> the other (which can be done with QDialog::exec())? May I ask why?
>
> As to how to do that: The only way is putting the code that needs to run in
> the second event loop into a separate application and then use IPC (like
> QDBus) to communicate between the two processes.

Is there some technical limitation in Qt that makes it unable to control two
separate windows from different threads? I'd be absolutely thrilled if a
future version of Qt would allow this behavior. I've seen variations on this
question asked so many times that I'm sure I'm not alone..

Here's my current problem: I am writing a data acquisition/analysis
application that does an enormous amount of number crunching and graphical
output in realtime. The program is running on a quad-core machine and I have
as much data processing as possible shuffled out to other threads, but the
entire GUI (three windows spread across two monitors) is forced to run on
one core and is becoming a bottleneck.

So my option now is to split the program into fragments,  put the
application state into shared memory, and design an IPC protocol to handle
all of the communication that was originally seamless? Maybe I could run the
second window using GTK and the third using TK?

Can anybody tell me if this issue is being considered by the Qt developers?
Is it even possible to fix at all?

Luke