[Qt-interest] Motif and QT

phil prentice philp.cheer at talktalk.net
Wed Mar 4 20:11:20 CET 2009

Hi

  I have a number of old applications that use Motif and make calls to
functions like XCreateSimpleWindow(....) and XDefineCursor(..) etc etc etc.

  I would very much like to be able to move these applications over to QT.  I
have written new QT GUI's from scratch but have not looked at moving whats
already there over.  Some of these applications I would re-write from scratch
ripping off the code as necessary.  However some of them are very big and it
would be nice if I could somehow think about the possibility of substituting
these functions with QT equivalents and so replace the lower level interface
from X/motif to QT.  There are many reasons why I would want to do this.  Is
what I am asking fairly possible or should I be looking at some other better
method?  I have not even began to think about how I would introduce these QT
objects into my C code..but thats another story(use new to create them
somehow or whatever).

  By the way I know that QT does provide a motif extension, which I have not
looked at yet...but for a number of reasons I am initially wondering if there
is any point in me considering trapping the calls myself.

Thank you for all your help
  Phil