[Qt-interest] Which compiler would you recommend for Windows?

Sven Grunewaldt strayer at olle-orks.org
Thu Mar 5 12:54:42 CET 2009

Hi List,

I currently don't know which compiler I should use under windows... I
have access to Visual Studio 2008 Professional via MSDNAA and there are
MinGW and TDragons MinGW+GCC4.3 builds.
Some negative things I discovered so far:

Visual Studio:
  - one day IntelliSense works, next day it does not...
  - missing functions, things just done different (GCC: snprintf, MSVC:
_snprintf and _snprintf_s .. what the?)
  - missing standards (f.e. C99: variable sized arrays)
  - Manifests! I spent nearly a week reading about them and I concluded
that they are just complicated and annoying.

MinGW:
  - uses a very old gcc version which has problems with exception
handling (they state this on their mailing list)
  - "hacky" implementation on windows

TDragons MinGW:
  - as the MinGW team states it has the same exception handling problems
  - also "hacky" implementation on windows
  - tons of warnings because of a GCC bug that is fixed in 4.4 which
make compiler output very hard to read

Now the advantage of MinGW is that I can use QtCreator, which is a very
great IDE. VS is (at least in my opinion) bloated and "buggy" (see
IntelliSense above).

I'm confused :/
What would YOU recommend? What do the Trolls actually use on Windows?