[Qt-interest] macdeployqt

Cédric Luthi cedric.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 09:10:10 CET 2009

> 1. What does this tool actually do?  If it automates the process of
> building a Mac app (as the link above says), then why does that same
> page still give tons of instructions about otool and install_name_tool
> and so on?  Are those instructions for users for whom macdeploy is not
> appropriate, or does macdeploy only automate part of the process?

macdeployqt automates the whole process, there is no need to directly
call install_name_tool, move frameworks around etc.
Unfortunately, the documentation is not up to date and the whole page
could almost be replaced by a single sentence: Use macdeployqt.

> 2. Where can I find more thorough documentation on macdeploy, such as
> how to use it and what part of the process it automates?

Simple, just call:
macdeployqt MyGreatSoftware.app

> 3. Most importantly:  Where the heck is it?  I can't find it in /
> Developer/Tools/Qt, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, or /usr/local/Qt4.5.

They forgot to put it in the Qt 4.5 SDK! You have to download Qt 4.5
source and build it yourself. It's located in tools/macdeployqt