[Qt-interest] Cleaning Up

Benjamin Lau blwy10v at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 02:59:23 CET 2009

I don't think there is any way to do this automatically (I haven't
pried open the Makefile to check), but what I did was delete all the
object files, Makefiles, debug example and demo executables,
pre-compiled headers, and everything else that took up a lot of space
and I didn't seem to need.

The way I went about doing this is that I used Locate32 (a GNU locate
clone for Windows) http://www.locate32.net/ to speedily locate object
files, Makefiles and debug executables (I already had it installed on
my hard disk, so if you prefer Windows Search and Find suffices too)

As for observing what takes up a lot of space, I use ExplorerXP (a
file manager for Windows) http://www.explorerxp.com/ as it
automatically displays the size of each folder in the table view that
it presents of the current directory, so it's easy to see what's
taking up a lot of space.

As a random aside, pre-compiled headers are presented as c++ or c
files in folders whose names end in .gch. They take up a lot of space
in total. I'm not sure if you want to remove them, or if removing them
has any impact on compilation performance, but since I felt that I
didn't need them, and was willing to trade off any compilation speedup
for their non-existence, I deleted them anyway.

Hope this helps!
Benjamin