[Qt-interest] show a widget without a main window

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Mon Mar 9 18:13:04 CET 2009

Malyushytsky, Alex wrote:
>It is at least a bad style to rely on system to reclaim the memory.
>Because not all systems which are currently in use do it.
>Not all system are guarantee to do it in the future.
>
>I believe Windows NT ( 2000 and older ) do reclaim memory, Windows 95
> does not. I am not sure about Windows 98, but expect it does not
> either.
>And Windows 98 is even supported by QT 4.

Windows 95, 98, Me and NT4 are on their way to deprecation as of Qt 4.5.
We have not tested Qt 4.5 on those systems (yet) and, from Qt 4.6 on, they
will not be supported at all.

In any case, even Windows 95 does house-cleaning when an application exits
(excepting, of course, platform bugs). Even DOS did that, albeit in a much
simpler way.

--
Thiago Macieira - thiago.macieira (AT) nokia.com
  Senior Product Manager - Nokia, Qt Software