[Qt-interest] distributing a Qt app on Linux

Nathan Carter ncarter at bentley.edu
Thu Mar 12 15:51:27 CET 2009

I just finished running the fabulous macdeployqt program on my
application, and was pleasantly surprised to see just how easy it is
to prepare a fully-ready-for-distribution application.

It is harder on Windows, but I'm familiar with HMNSIS, so I'm all set
there, too.

Now Linux.

I realize this isn't *completely* a Qt question, but since I know that
you've all dealt with this issue, and since surely some Qt-related
issues arise (Qt libs, whether to build from source, what binaries can
be transported safely, etc.) I thought I'd ask.

How do you recommend distributing for Linux?  It's an OSS app, so I
can just refer people to my SVN repo and put a readme up there for
building, and a .desktop file for convenience.

Any better ideas?

Nathan