[Qt-interest] QTree* with custom widgets

Bernhard Friedreich friesoft at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 20:52:22 CET 2009

> First. Please reply to the mailing list.

Sorry ... totally overlooked that..

> Everything is trade off between the cost of development and
> functionality which includes efficient memory handling and usability.
>
> You mentioned that it does not matter for you which widget to use.
>
> As for me this means that the data you need to display is relatively
> small.

1.) it IS small (sthg. like 4 strings and 2 numbers)
2.) the model just provided the texts for the 0. column atm (but those
texts are always the same so it doesn't really matter)

> So from this point of view, you can safely use QTreeWidget.
>

> You don't provide sufficient details what kind of resizing you need,
>
> but you can probably just resize widgets yourself when it is needed,

Sorry again.. I've made the experience that the longer the text the
fewer people will read it ^^

I've got the following requirements:

Tree
 | - text 1
        widget 1 object
 | - text 2
        widget 2 object
 | - text 3
        widget 2 object with different "edit triggers" (provided by the
widget itself in a custom way)

Widget 1: QLabel with a static text --> so here setIndexWidget or
setItemWidget (depending on the QTree*) would be sufficient.
Widget 2: QWidget with a layout and some more widgets inside (some
Labels, Lineedits, Buttons, Comboboxes and maybe some more layouts ^^)
The second "widget 2" is just another instance of the same QWidget as
"widget2"

When I now press one of the buttons in "Widget 2" some more widgets
should be added to one of the layouts of "Widget 2".

Now the case with setIndexWidget/setItemWidget is that the size of the
QTreeWidgetItem (or whatever you'd like to call it) doesn't change as
long as I don't collpase and reopen the tree again.

> This will minimize development cost. I would not start implementing
> anything else untiil it is clear that this appoach will not work for me.

Totally understandable -- just didn't thought that it would be sooo
tougth... everything I've done in Qt before was easy-peasy and solved
within hours or at max. 2 days ^^