[Qt-interest] Qt 4.5 Open Source (Windows) -- is it legal to redistribute the Qt DLLs?

Konrad Rosenbaum konrad at silmor.de
Fri Mar 20 19:41:38 CET 2009

On Friday 20 March 2009, R. Reucher wrote:
> I just don't want to be on the illegal side, so I thought I might ask
> before I do... am I legally entitled to redistribute the Qt DLLs which
> are required to run my application in a binary Win32 package?

Of course. It is under LGPL, so you can legally distribute source and
binaries.

Your first obligation is to tell your customers/downloaders that it is under
LGPL and where to find the sources to it. If you change Qt itself you also
have to offer/distribute your changes to Qt in source.

Your second one is to allow your customers/downloaders to re-link your
application with a new version of Qt. You'll be fine if you just use the Qt
DLLs just as everybody else does.

> Of course, the application is open source as well... and the DLLs were
> built from Qt 4.5 (Open Source) using VC++ Express 2008.

Then there should be no problem. Most projects distribute the binaries
together and the sources together (ie. in the same download directory).

	Konrad

PS.: IANAL

--
Note: I'm changing my PGP/GPG key soon! New KeyID: 723A6200
Fingerprint: B37C FA75 8C4C 6537 7954  CBC0 CB15 C991 723A 6200