[Qt-interest] Qt 4.5 Open Source (Windows) -- is it legal to redistribute the Qt DLLs?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sat Mar 21 23:01:20 CET 2009

On Saturday 21 March 2009 21:58:48 André Somers wrote:
> I am not sure if that is correct. If it is, then how on earth can it be
> that there are closed source device drivers and closed source applications
> around in the Linux ecosystem? Don't they link to system libraries?
> As I have understood it, it is allowed to link your closed source
> application to a GPL system lib. However, admittedly, there is a lot of
> grey area here... However: IANAL!

I am not a lawyer either, but: Linking a closed source app to a gpl-lib _is_
illegal. No grey area there. (To repeat Thiago: thats why the system libs on
linux are LGPL. And thats why Trolltech choose GPL for the free edition of Qt
and only could afford the LGPL version after it is Nokia now.)

From what I know from the fsf website: If your lib is unique and very good and
you want all apps using it to be open-source, choose gpl as license, if you
want your lib to be used widely and have competition, choose LGPL to allow
adoption by closed source apps too.

There is a grey area and lots of discussion both on the kernel list and at the
distributions about blobs for drivers in the kernelspace.
Side note: There is also definitely no grey area when linking to LGPL (or using
LGPL in your applience) and not telling the customers/users about it.

Have a good night/day,

Arnold