[Qt-interest] How to serialize objects

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sun Mar 22 23:13:44 CET 2009

On Sunday 22 March 2009 22:32:12 Raja Sekharan wrote:
> I've searched everywhere but I am not able to find an answer to this, how
> do you serialize an object in Qt C++?

By hand. Plain C++ doesn't (at least to my knowledge) contain a way of
serialization. If you where really stupid, you read bytes from the objects
adress to objects address + sizeof(object). But that would give you lots of
runtime-specific pointers and not the child data referenced by pointers. So
don't even try to write it in code.

I don't know why you want to serialize, but you have to add the functions to
store and restore yourself. Depending on what you want, you can add >>- and
<<-operators or some toXml()/fromXml() functions or something like that...

Have fun,

Arnold