[Qt-interest] Qt 4.5 Open Source (Windows) -- is it legal to redistribute the Qt DLLs?

Kermit Mei kermit.mei at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 06:48:32 CET 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-21 at 09:48 +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> >If I use the GPL program's libs, must I distribute my program under GPL?
> >For example, I use gcc compile a program on Linux, and use the
> >libpthread.so which is protected by GPLv2. Then, Am I forced to put my
> >source under GPLv2? I feel some conflict when non-open source run on
> >Linux ...
>
> Please re-read what Wagner said. I have left the important part above.
>
> You'd be correct in your assessment too if libpthread were under the
> GPLv2. It's not.

Excuse me, Thiago, as you said, libpthread were not under the GPLv2,
but, I found that all the headers of c++ in gcc are GPLv2, whereas C
libs are all LGPL. This digest if from the header "iostream" :

// This file is part of the GNU ISO C++ Library.  This library is
free
// software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
the
// terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the
// Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your
option)
// any later
version.

// This library is distributed in the hope that it will be
useful,
// but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty
of
// MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See
the
// GNU General Public License for more
details.

// You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
License
// along with this library; see the file COPYING.  If not, write
// the Free Software Foundation, 51 Franklin Street, Fifth
Floor,
// Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

All the C headers are said that they are LGPL, but C++ headers shows
GPL.

I also found that qt-apps always link to libstdc++, does it means that
the LGPL of Qt can't be used with gcc?

Thanks.
Kermit