[Qt-interest] Qt 4.5.0 and manifest files

Pascal Patry iscy at invalidip.com
Mon Mar 23 23:25:36 CET 2009

On March 23, 2009 12:23:06 pm Benjamin Sonnemann wrote:
> AFAIK you are on very thin ice there, as the debug CRT is NOT
> redistributable! Else stick with Torrin Jones advice.

Distributing debug CRT to customers would be a mistake... but the problem is affecting
both debug & release builds.

> 2009/3/23 Torrin Jones <tjones.job at gmail.com>
>
> > Install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package on the end
> > users system.  Then you don't have to worry about those files not being
> > in the place.

Not that I don't like this, but I would really hate having to do that. I don't want to
have to tell our customers to "pre-install" a different package before installing our
application. It sounds like ".NET" and doesn't look professional at all.

> > On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Pascal Patry <iscy at invalidip.com> wrote:
> >> Hi, I'm experiencing a problem that has to do with manifest files since
> >> I switched to Qt
> >> 4.5.0. I'm bundling the application using this directory structure:
> >>
> >> app
> >>  \bin
> >>    app.exe
> >>    Qt*.dll
> >>    msvc[rmp]90d.dll
> >>    Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT.manifest
> >>  \plugins
> >>    \imageformats
> >>      qjpegd4.dll
> >> [...]

I'm currently avoiding the problem by removing all the manifests on the plugins. What I'm
really looking here is a way of telling the OS where to find the manifest dependencies. I
can't believe what Microsoft did here... you can resolve libraries by having them in your
paths (or current directory), but when the dependency is coming from a manifest, it won't
look at the same places.