[Qt-interest] Database agnostic programming

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Tue Mar 24 21:14:36 CET 2009

Hi,

I have build some Qt based software that interfaces with a database. Now, we
would like to make the program database agnostic. That is: we want to make
it possible to choose a different database as the backend to store the data.
While Qt gives me a good way to connect with the different databases, there
is no solution for the different SQL dialects that are used, especially for
slightly more advanced select queries and for table creation and
modification queries. Issues range from different names for data types,
different date notations, different characters around table names and values
to differences in things like TOP version LIMIT keywords.

How do other people solve this issue? Is there some library available
somewhere that can "translate" SQL dialects? One option I am looking into is
KexiDB, but the page seems a bit outdated so I am not sure what the current
status is. Meanwhile, other suggestions are very welcome!

André