[Qt-interest] win32-g++ compiled Qt app much bigger than win32-msvc compiled one?

Malyushytsky, Alex alex at wai.com
Mon Mar 30 21:51:38 CEST 2009

Francisco,

As far as I know QT does not support anything, but gcc 3.4.2 on Windows yet.
So even it might have better optimizations you have no way to use it.

About performance. I would call an Intel compiler a king of performance on Windows. Even though I have negative experience with Intel support and reliability these days, we use Intel compiler in our office.
Due to the nature of our product we need the best performance possible and found that intel compiler provides the best one.

If you want to compile QT with it, you might have a problem. Qt 4.5 I believe has issues with using Intel CC 10.
But we don't have problems linking code compiled with Intel and msvc compilers together, so there is a work around, if you can split your QT based gui and modules you need to be compiled with Intel compiler.

So my answer was related to usage gcc 3.4.2 over msvc, which is correct according to my experience.

If you have better answer, you are welcome to correct me.
But please respond to the mailing list. This may give others, not only me  an opportunity to participate or learn from discussion.

Alex