[Qt-interest] Qt for the iPad?

Richard S. Wright Jr. rwright at starstonesoftware.com
Mon Apr 5 23:19:35 CEST 2010

> blah blah blah removed for space reasons....

For what it's worth, I already have Qt running on my iPad. QtCore that is, and the networking and the XML classes. It took a bit of doing, only about a week, and no I can't share it... it's rather messy you wouldn't want it anyway. Trick is, configure it for Unix, set the platform defines for ARM, and you have to include the source in the project, not some library that you .configed. If I could hack it in a week, Nokia could do it quickly, and more cleanly if they WANTED to. End of story. Shut the #$%! up about "how hard" it would be to move Qt to the iPhone.

Now... of course there is a catch to this "tongue in cheek" bravado of mine. I don't have all the Qt graphics, Widgets, etc. I don't care, I don't want them. Core application logic that uses the network library, QString, etc. Some developers prefer to keep a very good separation between application logic, and the user interface. Personally, I really don't want my iPhone/iPad app to look like an OS X app or an Android App, or a Windows CE app, and I don't even think the user should "use" them the same. That's the "magic" of the iPhone OS.

Okay, before I get flamed. Duh... this is not the solution for everyone. Maybe not even most of the people on this mailing list. But it is a solution some of you can probably at least consider. Make an iPad app look like it belongs on an iPad... but use Qt for your lower level framework and such. Saves A LOT of porting.... and A LOT is something, even if it's not EVERYTHING.

If any of you guys/gals are amateur astronomers, stop by the Software Bisque boot at NEAF weekend after next. I'll show it to you.

Richard