[Qt-interest] Qt for the iPad?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Apr 6 17:52:42 CEST 2010

Em Terça-feira 06 Abril 2010, às 16:52:34, Jason H escreveu:
> Suggestion: Is there a dollar figure that would have to be reached  that
> would motivate Qt Development Frameworks to support the iPhone?
>
> I just look at those 1,500,000,000 app downloads (1.5B) and say that's a
> market I want to service.
>
> Could we (the community) put together some fund to help fund the work to
> get the iPhone/iPad supported? The iPad is actually looking like a juicy
> market for Qt - larger display, high priced apps. Or could Nokia make a
> special license version where XX% of app sales/revenues on those platforms
> goes to maintain the iP[o|ad]? (Remember both Ovi and Apple App Store
> takes 30% off the top)

I'm not going to comment on business decisions. If you want an official story,
please contact Qt / Nokia via the proper channels. What I've said so far in
this thread is that choosing to support iPhone, Android or any other platform
(Blackberry, Bada, Windows Phone 7 Series, you name it) is not a trivial
decision.

So please stop throwing numbers up in the air. If you want to discuss it with
the community present on qt-interest, I won't stop you, but I will also not
comment on the subject.

You don't have to convince me or anyone else that there is interest. That was
a given, the day after the iPhone was released in 2007.

From the Open Source side, Qt is LGPL and there is already an effort of having
it supported, by the community.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358