[Qt-interest] Qt for the iPad?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Apr 9 19:01:27 CEST 2010

Em Sexta-feira 09 Abril 2010, às 18:32:05, Jason H escreveu:
> I don't see Engadget and Gizmodo live-blogging the Nokia OS releases.

Engadget has a lot of Nokia news, some of them questionable (they report
leaks), some of them real.

They had live-blogging of the Intel-Nokia announcement of MeeGo. They also do
live-blogging of Nokia World, which is when last year the N900 was announced.

> While there are no apples-apples comparisons betwen the app stores, I did
> find out:
> Nokia: 61M Ovi store users * Avg 8 downloads per Ovi user = 488M
> downloads.
> Apple: 4B downloads for Apple, 85M iPhone/Touch units = 47
> apps/person

You've compared units to users. And you've compared the number of downloads on
the entire lifetime of the store. That's not a fair comparison.

There are at least 120 million Symbian devices that Qt can address. And since
I can't give you internal volume numbers, I'll quote the numbers from
Engadget: they expect there to be another 150-200 million more until the end
of next year.

> If anyone knows, could someone enlighten me/us about why Maemo/MeeGo isn't
> seeing the adoption that Android is? Is it just Google?

Because MeeGo was announced less than 2 months ago. The first (hard-core
developer) code drop was only last week and when you boot it, you have a nice
xterm. You'll have to wait a bit more to see actual devices coming out with
MeeGo inside.

But trust me, there will be.

Anyway, I don't know why I am still replying to this thread.

I've told you before: we're not stupid. Of course there's interest in having
Qt on iPhone and iPad. And on Android. And on Blackberry, Bada, Windows Phone
7 Series, and S40 too, with a cherry on top.

That is NOT the problem.

When I asked for numbers and a business case, it was about how my $$ it would
cost to make the port and maintain it, plus how much in revenues (direct and
indirect) it would produce. Then compare that to the current allocation of
resources: that is, if a port gets done, what DOESN'T get done?

I do not expect you to be able to produce these numbers.

Plus, there's the roadblock of the stranglehold that Apple holds on the
platform. They could decide from day to night that they don't want any
applications using Qt. Before any investment is done, we'd need an agreement
that Apple would allow those apps to be made available.

I don't expect you to be able to get that agreement either.

My point wasn't to get you to get them, but to think about it. We're not
stupid, we know that you want it. I want you to understand that the decision
isn't that simple.

In the meantime, we continue studying the situation and updating our plans.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358