[Qt-interest] Qt Application Compiles very Slow on Windows Machines

Aaron Lewis aaron.lewis1989 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 14:13:49 CEST 2010

On 04/10/2010 04:05 PM, Konrad Rosenbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [sorry, some ranting ahead]
>
> On Friday 09 April 2010, Aaron Lewis wrote:
>> 	Mingw Compiles very slow on Windows , while my Gentoo goes extremely
>> fast.
>
> This is a problem of Windows. Windows is simply not well prepared to create
> new processes or handle something as complex as accessing files in a timely
> manner.
>
> I usually develop my apps on a Linux box (even one in a Virtualbox running
> on Windows will do better than plain Windows) and only do the release
> compile and testing on Windows. This way I spare myself the frequent and
> agonizing wait times during development - my projects are big enough to
> fetch a cup of coffee during a recompile on Linux and enough for extended
> lunch during recompile on Windows.

So do i , but not everyone like to play with Linux , i need to develop
some Win32 Apps this time ..

> Typical Windows programs work around those OS problems by using thread pools
> instead of processes and doing LOTS of caching themselves - eg. MS visual
> studio compiles a whole sub-project in one compiler process, which doesn't
> start to write until it is done compiling and linking and typical Windows
> DVD players do all the pre-fetching themselves. On the other hand all GNU
> tools (incl. make and gcc) rely on the OS having cheap processes and good
> caching.
>
> Just for fun: check out the descriptions of fflush and fsync on MSDN and in
> the POSIX standard. That some m*r*n at MS didn't understand the difference
> sent me on a two weeks search for the cause of a factor 60 performance
> difference in an embedded database between Linux and Windows.

I'd try to find the difference between them.

> 	Konrad

Thanks for your expreience , Konrad

- --
Best Regards,
Aaron Lewis - PGP: 0x4A6D32A0
FingerPrint EA63 26B2 6C52 72EA A4A5 EB6B BDFE 35B0 4A6D 32A0
irc: A4r0n on freenode