[Qt-interest] What does '-developer-build' actually do? SOLVED / THANKS!

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Apr 12 14:35:38 CEST 2010

Em Segunda-feira 12 Abril 2010, às 11:19:00, Kustaa Nyholm escreveu:
> > 1) get a faster computer
>
> Well this is 2.8GHz/4GB/Core2Duo/1067MHz/9200rpm MacBook Pro...

Ah, a Mac. Note that by default, Mac builds in debug-and-release mode. So it
compiles everything twice and the release builds take longer because of the
optimisation passes.

Also, if you enable universal builds, you end up building a couple more times.

If you restrict yourself to debug and native builds, it should cut down
considerably the time it takes you to build Qt.

> > 2) get a build farm (use your co-workers' machines for that)
>
> Sounds like too much trouble...

Maybe for Mac. For Linux systems and other Unix that use gcc, it's quite easy.
Everyone shares their idle CPU cycles.

In our network here in Oslo, my C2D of 2.33 GHz can finish a Qt 4.7 src build
in 8 minutes.

> > 3) don't build the entirety of Qt
> >
> > If you just want to experiment, start with just the src subdir. You may
> > also want to disable webkit, since that cuts in half the time required
> > to build src.
>
> Yeah that helps, now I can build what I need half an hour...

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358