[Qt-interest] Is Qt the best choice for cross-platform desktop GUI applications? Mac OS X (Cocoa, Aqua)? KDE, GNOME, Windows 7

Elfen pem.accounts.spam at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 23:07:59 CEST 2010

My top 3 ideas are:
1) Qt, C++, Qt Creator (or Visual Studio / gcc / etc)
2) Swing, Java, Eclipse (or NetBeans, or IntelliJ)
3) SWT, Java, Eclipse (or NetBeans, or IntelliJ) (JFace rather than SWT?)

Some ideas that get honorable mention:
A) multiple native GUI toolkits (Windows, WPF, Expression Blend) (Mac OS X,
Cocoa, Interface Builder) (GNOME, GTK+) (KDE, Qt)
B) REAL Studio (formerly REALBasic)
C) GTK#, C# and .NET, Mono

An absolute minimum is to have very correct native visual style for the
widgets (Mac OS X - Cocoa Aqua ?) (Windows - not sure if it's Windows Forms
or WPF ?) (GNOME - GTK+ ?) (KDE - Qt ?).  Beyond that, it should do things
like dialogs where the position of the (OK, Cancel) buttons is correct (for
Windows 7, Mac OS X, GNOME, KDE), which I know Qt at least tries to do.
Probably a native app should use different defaults shortcuts for each OS.

I saw that Apple supports Swing, and that SWT has a native widget focus.
However, I don't know how well they compare to Qt (especially on Mac OS X)
for these things.

I may have ruled out REAL Studio too soon, but I'm not enthused about that
path unless it's really a lot better than the other choices (such as Qt,
Swing, SWT)

My first cross-platform GUI desktop application is just a simple specialized
object based image drawing utility (you can open a png image and draw
objects on it, like rectangles or polygons, and resize / move / delete /
copy etc these objects).

Specific examples / comparisons are especially helpful.  Please only reply
if you have relevant experience and/or knowledge.

thank you for info / leads