[Qt-interest] Is Qt the best choice for cross-platform desktop GUI applications? Mac OS X (Cocoa, Aqua)? KDE, GNOME, Windows 7

Jason H scorp1us at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 00:05:38 CEST 2010

Qt sucks. Never use it ;-) I hope you weren't expecting a biased answer on at Qt list. :-)

Given your list, I can tell you this:
Qt runs on more platforms than there are JavaVMs.
Java seems to be going the way of COBOL.
GTk, Qt and .Net are the only platforms going forward.
Qt has QtScript for scripting.
Qt has multiple language bindings. (Python a favorite of mine)

Qt does have some weak spots:
No SOAP support
Crappy font rendering many places (printouts, OSX)
No read/write support of XML without major pain (I have it working, but took much love)
OSX seems to be the 'weakest' officially supported platform.
Lack of developers who are familiar with it

Qt does have some strengths:
Me (and everyone else here, and on #qt) :-)
Clear, navigable docs
Permissive licensing.
Clean, text-book OOP design.
Probably the best x-platform ever devised outside of a virtual machine.

And I thought Carbon was the future of OSX or did I get that confused?