[Qt-interest] Is Qt the best choice for cross-platform desktop GUI applications? Mac OS X (Cocoa, Aqua)? KDE, GNOME, Windows 7

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Tue Apr 13 08:06:39 CEST 2010

Yes, I guess that's true.
The problem is, that Qt seems to move in the opposite direction for
interface. No longer the main goal seems to be to provide pixel-perfect
native look and feel, but the focus seems to be shifting more and more
towards smooth, shiny, animated interfaces that don't feel at home at any
platform Qt runs on. Lots of effort seems to be spend on this front. While I
really do see use-cases, I find it worrying that I see a complete second set
of widgets and layout technology come into existence within Qt. One based on
QWidget, and one on QGraphicsView. And if I can believe yesterday's blog on
labs, maybe even a third direction in the future...

There is other evidence in Qt that the direction is not 100% percent stable.
Phonon comes to mind. It seems that while it was trumpeted as the new
direction for multimedia in 4.something, it has already been replaced again
in Qt 4.7 with yet another multimedia platform. Something similar seems to
be going on in Qt XML land. The DOM classes are depreciated, and perhaps
rightly so, but there was a good use case for such an XML editing mechanism.
A recent thread on this list showed some big holes in the currently
supported XML features, IMHO.

Oh, but with all its faults, I do love Qt :-)

André