[Qt-interest] Qt for the iPad?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Apr 13 18:30:10 CEST 2010

Em Terça-feira 13. Abril 2010, às 14.05.57, Christian Dähn escreveu:
> Sorry for my off topic statement here - but Qt "support" isn't what I've
> been used to for years (working with Qt since year 2000).
>
> Currently I only get support via the buggy and customer-unfriendly
> "Customer portal", where it's not possible to set issues as "solved" or to
> reply issues, further the issue messages are limited in size and thus
> leads to support answers cutted away (nearly all support guys reply in the
> bottom of the quoted message).

I can't comment on the quality, as I have no first-hand experience with this.

As for the website, it's salesforce.com. Maybe email would be easier for you,
but not for the engineers who need to deal with a good quantity of cases, plus
search them all as a knowledge base.

> Further I've to take care that I don't ask too many questions, because more
> than 10 in a year have to be paid to additionally. And even if I found
> real bugs, a bug request can take weeks until anybody takes care of it -
> just saying: it could maybe fixed within some future release...

Commercial support is not incident-based. It's unlimited.

As for fixing bugs, that's about priorities: yours and ours will not always
match. The team has a lot to do and fixing the P0s and P1s as well as getting
the releases out are very important. (Where P1 means "will stop the release
from happening" and P0 means "stops Qt development itself so stop whatever
you're doing and do this NOW")

> Please change (repair) your user unfriendly support portal and find back to
> your direct and customer friendly support (ehm: did I mention that I'm
> talking about PAID support?). Commercial users like me need Qt and Qt
> Support for my daily work - without it, Qt doesn't make any sense for
> commercial customers.

Our in-house solution was past due-date to be replaced. Fixing the current one
probably involves either switching away from salesforce.com to something else,
or having SF do the work. Either way, it's not immediate. But feedback is
important, so I did forward your email to the support lead.

I am not the person to talk to about this. If you have problems with support,
it's with support as well as your sales manager you need to discuss. My work
doesn't go near any of their work.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358