[Qt-interest] (Qt support salesforce "downgrade", bug priorities) (was Qt for the iPad?)

Ross Bencina rossb-lists at audiomulch.com
Wed Apr 14 13:32:50 CEST 2010

Hi Thiago

Thanks for clarifying. I am happy to understand the priorities and will use
them when pushing future bugs through support.

You wrote:
> Depending on the rendering glitch, it would be a P1 or a P2. If it is as
> you
> say "scrolling corrupts widget due to not updating" and we're talking
> about
> proper code that used to work, then it's a P1. If you're misusing the
> code, or
> if this has never worked, or is easily worked around, it's probably going
> be a P2.

This is good news and better than what I have experienced in the past (1 or
2 years ago).

In one case I remember the bug was reproducable with an unchanged or
minimally modified Qt example on Windows (scrolling a QTableWidget). I was
told this wan't a critical bug and I would have to wait for the next major
rev. Perhaps you have more resources now..

> Which brings me to the next point: the better the bug report is, the more
> likely it is to be fixed, even if it is a lower priority. If you include a
> testcase and a patch (and it is correct, of course), it will very likely
> be
> fixed. If you include a testcase, it's the next best thing and helps a
> lot.

I have learn't not to report bugs to Qt support without a test case -- it
never gets me anywhere. Although these days I generally avoid reporting bugs
and look for a workaround instead because it is quicker than filing a bug
report and almost certainly quicker than preparing a test case. But you
know, if I wanted to fix bugs in someone else's framework I'd be using an
open source project, not commercial Qt ;-)

Many thanks

Ross.