[Qt-interest] (Qt support salesforce "downgrade", bug priorities ) (was Qt for the iPad?)

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at maps-technology.com
Wed Apr 14 14:31:20 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 14 Apr 2010 12:52:30 Gregory Seidman wrote:
> To bring this full circle back to supporting the iPad, read the very last
> paragraph of this article concerning the section 3.3.1 change:
>
> http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/why_apple_changed_section_331
>
> It's a pretty damning reference to Qt. I started using Qt back around 3.2,
> and I love it. I even gave a talk at a regional Qt conference near Boston
> some years ago. I'd never dream of releasing a Mac app written in Qt,
> however. It just isn't up to par. Amazon did, and look what it got them.

That example and the link it points too:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gruber/4443592894/

just show that the developer at Amazon:

* did not know about the QButtonBox
* did not know how to use layouts properly
* used a QCheckBox and a QLabel rather than just using a QCheckBox for the
checkbox item.
* for some reason set the dialog as a fixed size but left the resize grip
enabled.

The point is that none of the shortcomings listed there are the fault of Qt.
It is perfectly possible to create crap user interfaces with any toolkit -
even with cocoa I expect.

The application programmer has to take responsibility. If it was all down to
the toolkit to enforce this kind of thing, then we would have no freedom to do
many of the things that we take for granted.

I am not saying that the cocoa (or any other port is perfect) but you cannot
blame sloppy user interface design at the application level on the toolkit
providers.

Sean