[Qt-interest] The C++ language committee

Eirik Ulvik eiriku at simsurgery.com
Fri Apr 16 13:46:59 CEST 2010

Den 16.04.2010 12:59, skrev Mihail Naydenov:
[snip]
> Dear Qt,
>
> Few weeks back I was watching a talk given by Bjarne Stroustrup about c++ and its future.
> We all the story - C++0x and its features.
>
> Two things however draw my attention:
>
> First he mentions Qt, but as a negative example, he even added (IIRC) "at least they did not come up with a proprietary language like some others" sighting Apple .
>
> Second he urges everybody (*especially* real world app. developers) to participate in shaping the c++ language. This is done trough a representative in the committee .
>

> Now, considering Qt is the most widely used, and possibly the best C++ framework, in the heart of some of the most demanding real word apps, its is quite unfortunate it has no representative there!
>
> The benefits for the C++ community and the language itself will be huge.
> People love Qt. They not use it not because "its a necessary evil" (like c++ IMHO itself is, not to mention the academic Boost (which does the job never the less)), they use it, because they love it.
> *This* is the real world modern C++.
> This C++ *should* be represented to let the committee k

[/snip]
I agree with all you have to say. Qt represents C++ as it should be, and
as such should be represented in the standards committee.

IMO new developers will not want to use the likes of boost which is just
such a long way from other languages (C#, Java etc.) that students are
taught and use at first.
For me at least, Qt enabled me to start using C++ and actually enjoy it.

Regards