[Qt-interest] need input on shared memory/communication

Paul Miller paul at fxtech.com
Sat Apr 17 00:16:59 CEST 2010

> Somthing else I'm considering - how about a socket or local socket? Then
> all the communication can happen over one "wire" - App 1 can do its
> local processing when App 2 requests data, and I can shuffle data over
> in whatever size increments I want.

After some experimentation with QLocalServer/QLocalSocket I discovered
this is not a workable solution, at least on Windows. With the polling
and spurious 100ms delays in the Windows implementation sending of a
mere 3MB over a QLocalSocket takes almost 10 seconds.

I'm going to play around with just writing a couple of raw files to disk
and using memory mapping to pull them into the client's address space.