[Qt-interest] The C++ language committee

K. Frank kfrank29.c at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 02:30:17 CEST 2010

Hi Mihail -

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Mihail Naydenov <mlists at ymail.com> wrote:
> Please, please, don't hijack the topic with flame wars.
>
> Here is the link to the talk (which is OT BTW):
> http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1204845/

Thanks for the link.  Nice talk -- classic Stroustrup.

> (the bandwidth is terrible; Qt is mentioned only in once sentence near the end (user questions IIRC), he discusses the committee involvement several times across the talk)

Yes, I see his comment, in response to a question about signals and slots.
I thought his comment about Qt was, at most, only mildly negative.  He did
admit that when Qt started they didn't have any choice but to roll their own.
Reading between the lines, I suppose his criticism would be that Qt didn't
then package signals and slots as a Qt-independent library, and offer it up
for standardization.

Certainly not harsh.

Apropos Objective-C and some other comments in this thread, I did notice
that in Stroustrup's second slide, "C++'s family tree (part of)," Objective-C
is not listed, although Simula, Smalltalk, Object Pascal, Java, and C# all
are.  Just noticing -- I'm not saying one should read much into this.

Interesting topic.

K. Frank