[Qt-interest] redistribute QT application for Windows

David Ching dc at remove-this.dcsoft.com
Fri Apr 23 07:29:46 CEST 2010

"Malyushytsky, Alex" <alex at wai.com> wrote in message
news:hqqk6v$p4l$1 at eple.troll.no...
> I failed to find where it is forbidden to redistribute CRT.

The CRT/ATL/MFC DLL's are freely redistributable!  There need be absolutely
no confusion about that!  That's why they are put into a folder called
"redist"!

> The most recent article on this topic I’ve found  for references
> msvcr100.dll:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd293565.aspx
>
> You say again you can't apply the license , so well regarding MSVCR80.DLL
> it is not that clear stated in msdn:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235316(v=VS.80).aspx
>
> So better to refer to other source and that is:
> "\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\redist.txt"
>
> “For your convenience, we have provided the following folders for use when
> redistributing VC++ runtime files. Subject to the license terms for the
> software, you may redistribute the folder (unmodified) in the application
> local folder as a sub-folder with no change to the folder name. You may
> also redistribute all the files (*.dll and *.manifest) within a folder,
> listed below the folder for your convenience, as an entire set.
> ….
> \VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\
>        msvcm80.dll
>        msvcp80.dll
>        msvcr80.dll
>        Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest
>>>
> I am a bit confused about placement requirement (is it allowed to place
> dlls in the application local folder or you need ,
> and such restriction did surprise me, but definitely permission to
> redistribute is granted.

It's not confusing at all.  You can find the redistributables on your hard
disk in <folder you installed Visual C++ to>\VC\redist\x86\...

You copy them from there and put them in your installer.  Your installer
needs to put these DLL's in a subfolder of your application.  So if your app
is MyQtApp.exe, and the user installs it to c:\program files\MyQtApp, that
folder would contain:

c:\program files\MyQtApp\
  MyQtApp.exe
  QtCore4.dll
  QtGui4.dll
  Microsoft.VC80.CRT\
       msvcm80.dll
       msvcp80.dll
       msvcr80.dll
       Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest

Really people, this Microsoft documentation is much easier to read than the
Qt documentation about the plug-ins.  (At least for me.)  I really don't
understand why this is such a misunderstood topic.

-- David