[Qt-interest] Dynamically instantiate a class using the class name

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 15:19:00 CEST 2010

Hi All,

Is there a way to programmatically  instantiate a class given it's name?

Eg: I'm making a library which calls upon other helper classes to do
the actual job. So a user calls a method say - setHelper(QString
helpername) in this lib, and the lib internally instantiates an object
of a class who's name is specified in "helpername". I'll have the
"helper" classes follow a set interface so that my lib routines have a
uniform way of interacting with all such helpers.

Does the QT meta system provide such a feature?

In java, Class.forName(String className) provides this functionality.
Is there something similar in QT too?

Regards,
-mandeep