[Qt-interest] Dead key events not available ?

Stephen Collyer scollyer at netspinner.co.uk
Mon Jul 12 14:17:34 CEST 2010

I am overriding keyPressEvent(QKeyEvent* event) in a subclass
of QTextEdit, and I find that, under Win32 at least, this never receives
any dead key events.

In src/gui/kernel/qapplication_win.cpp, we have:

1705         case WM_CHAR: {
1706             MSG msg1;
1707             bool anyMsg = PeekMessage(&msg1, msg.hwnd, 0, 0,
PM_NOREMOVE);
1708             if (anyMsg && msg1.message == WM_DEADCHAR) {
1709                 result = true; // consume event since there is a dead
char next
1710                 break;
1711             }

which leads me to believe these events are being discarded unconditionally.

Can someone tell me if it's possible to handle dead key events
in keyPressEvent(QKeyEvent* event) or am I out of luck ?

--
Stephen Collyer