[Qt-interest] QODBC seems very slow connecting to MSSQL

Bill King bill.king at nokia.com
Wed Jul 14 09:02:53 CEST 2010

 On 07/06/2010 07:13 PM, ext Harry Sfougaris wrote:
>> Unfortunatly TDS doesn't support latest versions of MSSQL server (and
>> it looks like project is dead or almost dead).
> Looking at the FreeTDS mailing list it doesn't look that dead as everyone makes it out to be.
> And of course it supports all version of MSSQL server; it just doesn't support some very fancy new options
Like unicode.
It's not fancy, and it's not new, and it's rather very critical.

Honestly, FreeTDS has not had a stable update release in years, and we
can not target a system that we know is broken and will not be fixed in
the forseeable future. Secondly, the TDS driver is using the deprecated
db-lib (or was it ct-lib that was the older one?) and not the newer
ct-lib interface, which would require a large amont of rework.

Please feel free to make these modifications yourself, and submit via
the code merge request mechanism. :)

>> And more sadly thing is that TDS is the only MSSQL driver for other platforms than windows...
> I think that is exactly the issue here. People claim TDS is dead so we should use ODBC, but all ODBC drivers (outside Windows) is based on TDS anyway....
> If TDS really dies, so will all the ODBC drivers. Meanwhile, we are stuck with inefficient access to one of the world's most popular DBMS (unfortunately)...
>
> Harry

This to anyone else watching this list, if you feel passionate enough
about this topic, please step up to the plate, we now have both open
governance, and the ability to request modifications of your own making
to be included into the qt source tree. As a famous line I've heard
goes: "I look forward to your patch". :)

--
Bill King, Software Engineer
Qt Development Frameworks, Nokia Pty Ltd