[Qt-interest] gui disabled issue with PACE copy protection dialogs inside Qt (OSX)

Ross Bencina rossb-lists at audiomulch.com
Wed Jul 14 13:21:13 CEST 2010

Hi Everyone

My Qt app hosts plugins developed by 3rd party developers. Some plugins use
PACE copy protection (paceap.com). The problem is, when they get loaded they
display an iLok or PACE dialog and then hang with all of the buttons on the
PACE dialog disabled. This is a non-Qt dialog that the copy protection code
displays. As far as I can tell, the dialog is running its own nested event
loop, although a few things in my Qt UI are still active (hover, some
clicks, tooltips). This is on OSX.

I have only tested this with demo versions of plugins but my users are
reporting similar problems with their licenced versions. If I try to use gdb
naturally PACE exits immediatly so it's hard to even give info about threads
etc.

I am guessing that Qt might be doing something (or not doing something) with
event processing that is causing this but I wonder whether anyone has
encountered this before and has any ideas how I might solve it. I guess
there would be similar issues in displaying any 3rd party dialog inside a Qt
GUI.

Any and all thoughts and help appreciated.

Many thanks

Ross.